Monday, June 06, 2005

A Poem or Two

I'm really happy for Mr. Felt, and I in no way wish to belittle his contribution to the respective and joint histories of politics and journalism. Beyond that, I will certainly be the first to extol the virtues of an unburdened (or less burdened) conscience. But, was anybody really sitting around saying, "Screw the meaning of life, I just want to know who Deep Throat was." I mean, really...

I was just telling a co-worker of mine, there are several mysteries that I find more pressing: the JFK assassination, the location of the Garden of Eden, the Bush re-election, the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa's body, the Bermuda Triangle, Where's Waldo Issue 3 - page 12. My co-worker's addition to the More Pressing Mystery List was the inspiration for Carly Simon's "You're So Vain".

But anyway, I'm off the subject, as usual.

I actually began this post, because in the midst of Spring cleaning I came across a couple of poems that I wrote that were short and that I thought I'd share. Here they are:

FUNNY LOVE

I can tell deep down you’re laughing
And that’s fine, I’m laughing, too
It seems to always turn out funny
No matter what we try to do
But my stomach’s sore to aching
And it’s only that I fear
My heart too will be breaking
When this joke’s end does appear
So, if it won’t be too much trouble
If you’d be ever so kind
Could we skip love’s drawn out build up
And cut straight to the punchline


ROMANS 1:22

Professing themselves to be wise they become fools
Out of their self-taught wisdom
They build tiny monuments to themselves
As a dog might
Only to step in them later
In their studies they miss the forest
Not for the trees
But for the sign announcing its name
And closing at dusk
They live for knowledge
But die without knowing


ANESTHESIA AND DENIAL

I don’t miss not feeling
But I do miss not feeling pain

The subtle lie of seeing every glass as half-full
Seems life to the man dying of thirst as every glass becomes half-empty

For while reality is not entirely overrated
It seems more to me now like a wonderful place to visit

1 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, June 06, 2005, Blogger joi said...

Dennis,
You are a beast! That's all I have to say.
That Romans poem...you're crazy, in a prolific way, lol

Love ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home