Monday, July 18, 2005

I've looked at clouds from both sides now...

I love to fly.

One of my favorite activities while flying is to look out the window at the tops of the clouds. There are very few places on Earth that have a landscape that rivals that of the average cloud. It looks like a million hills and valleys covered in freshly fallen snow. Then, there's this other-worldly quality to them.

But, before I wax too poetic, let me go on. Thinking about the clouds, brought two things to mind:

The Bible say that man's life is as a vapor. Although the Bible is speaking metaphorically about people, for clouds this is literally the case. Not only are their lives a vapor, they themselves are vapor. They are literally here today and gone tomorrow.

So, if God would put so much painstaking detail into a cloud that is only going to be around for about a day, how much more time and detail must he have put into human beings? Not only are our lifespans, on average, 27,375 times that of a cloud, but we are his masterpieces and made just to hang out with him and make him proud.

Secondly, it's been less than a hundred years that anyone or anything has ever seen the top of a cloud. Birds can't fly that high and neither could the earliest planes. So, God did all that work on something that wouldn't be seen, couldn't be seen, for millions of years. Which just goes to show you that God is God even when no one's looking.

2 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, July 19, 2005, Blogger rod said...

clouds are very special to me. I, too, have sat on the plane looking down in awe and the rolling vapor hills.
I've always made a big deal of the sky with my children - pointing out formations, colors, light rays, etc. Several years ago, my son looked up and said, "isn't it amazing how the sky is very different every single day?" Of course, I thought.
I immediately felt it as a metaphor for God's mercies, new every morning. Every day, a new sky. Every day, new mercies by which I am kept in the hand of God.

 
At 10:48 PM, July 19, 2005, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

Rod, that really is an amazing thing to think of. It's an amazing reassurance. Very smart kids you have there.

BSD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home