Friday, October 07, 2005

...because of the wonderful things he does.

The wizard is a lie…but, so is the little man behind the curtain.

Have you ever seen The Wizard of Oz? There’s a scene that I like near the end. It’s just after Dorothy and the gang had killed the Wicked Witch of the West. They return to the palace of the Emerald City to find the Wizard out of commission. Some other stuff happens, then Toto pulls back a curtain to reveal a frightened old man frantically pushing buttons, throwing switches, and pulling levers. Although it’s clear that the jig is up, he yells into his microphone, using the Wizard’s voice to issue one final proclamation: “Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain.”

I like this scene because it serves as a wonderful, and eerily accurate, metaphor for a lot of my life. I squandered a lot of time and energy frantically throwing switches and pulling levers to operate my Wizard. That is, the version of myself that I used to astound, entertain, and draw the masses. One button would cue witty banter. Another would trigger a confident, self-assured stride. A switch would toggle between proper English and admittedly unconvincing slang. A lever would dial up a bright smile when it didn’t come naturally. All the while, I was hiding and protecting the lost, scared (and very tired) Little Man Behind the Curtain.

I always knew that the Wizard was a sham, but it was a necessary evil. I justified all of the button-pushing, switch-throwing, and lever-pulling, saying that my true self needed to be hidden and protected, at all costs.

LIES. Filthy, stinking lies, I tell you.

My true self is clearly not the Wizard, but it’s not the Little Man either. The Little Man is an invention, just like the wizard. I created the Wizard out of people’s expectations, society’s standards, and my own guesswork. Life created the Little Man out of hurt, mistakes, and shame.

This Little Man is the me that died when I was born again in Christ, but my true self is the me that God created. My true self is the me that is wonderfully and fearfully made, that is more than a conqueror, that can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. My true self is the realization of everything that God says of His children, everything He says about me.

If indeed the devil’s greatest trick is convincing people that he doesn’t exist, convincing us that this true, God-created self doesn’t exist is a close second. Not only do we buy this lie, but we lie, steal and cheat to protect it and the fake, damaged self that is left in place of the true self.

The key to defeating him and overcoming his deceit is seeing and believing the truth that was there all the time: the truth that is hidden behind the little man who is hiding behind the curtain.

3 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, October 19, 2005, Blogger sunshine said...

I hate spam. My husband uses Haloscan on his blog and doesn't get the spam comments. Anyway...this isn't a spam for Haloscan!
I too was a "little (wo)man behind the curtain" I know exactly what you mean. Satan had me convinced that that was the real, God-created me. I am just now learning (at way too old) that that is a lie. Hallelujah! that God is patient and merciful to let us figure it out. Now to discover the real me!
Isn't the Wizard of Oz great?

 
At 3:23 PM, October 24, 2005, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

Thanks Sunshine,
The spam responses just started. They are somewhat clever in an annoying sort of way. I actually visited the rashguards site, just to see what they were. I will definitely look into the Haloscan.
The Wizard of Oz is great, lots of good quotes and life lessons. By the way, you're never too old to learn the truth. I thank God that He allowed you to learn it when you did, He must have known that you would be in exactly the right place in your life to apply it the way He needed you to.

 
At 11:53 PM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Apuuli said...

I am glad you have managed the spam... you might also go back and delete the old spam posts... just a thought.

another beautiful post. thanks! some of us are not men behind a curtain, but rather in a closet. it does feel good to step out and be as God intended us, most certainly. looking back on my life, i can still see the curtain that separates my former life, filled with the lies of shame, and my new life of being honest about my true self. it is almost otherworldly looking thru that veil, and i often have to pinch myself to remember that it was not a dream, or a past life, but actually just a false part of this one, long left behind.

peace and blessings, and thanks for the great post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home