Saturday, January 07, 2006

I feel the need... (Part One)

Through a conversation with a friend, God reminded me of a simple but difficult truth: If I have it, he gave it to me, and if he gave it to me, I need it. On the other hand, if I don't have it, either he took it away or he never gave it to me. In either case, I don't need it.

I figured this thought came from God because my concept of need is very different, much more external. In my thinking, the thing that I need is the thing that is just beyond or just within my grasp. I never, or rarely, have the sense of fully and securely possessing the things I need. Everything is always just around a corner, just beyond this or that accomplishment, or just on the other side of some moment in time. And if it's not, if I actually have it, it can be lost or taken away at any moment.

Fortunately, God doesn't think like me. In his infinite grace and purposefulness, God ensures that if I need it I have it, and if I have it I need it. So, all of those things I don't have that I'm absolutely sure will complete my existence (e.g., a couple extra inches of height, several extra thousands of dollars in income, and an iRiver IFP-799 mp3 player) would either be icing on the cheesecake or they would be additional baggage that would eventually slow my progress.

***********************
Stay tuned for Part Two

2 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Lisa said...

I love the thought at the beginning of this about if I have it, God gave it to me because I need it and the opposite as well. I can get so caught up in looking at those around me and seeing what I don't have that I don't even stop to realize that maybe, just maybe, I don't need it. Powerful Dennis. Thanks.

 
At 2:55 AM, February 25, 2006, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

Thank you, Lisa. I just had a major episode of looking over the fence at my neighbors and seeing greener grass. So, I know how you feel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home