Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Line, The Which & The Ward's Robe

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe is a must-see. I haven't read the book and I haven't been a big fantasy fan since middle school, but this was still one of my favorite movies of the year and one that I could see again, right now...even though the closing credits are still fresh enough in my mind that I can vaguely recall the name of the key grip. Apparently the movie remained very faithful to the book, which bodes well given that the source material was written by brilliant theological mind and wordsmith, C.S. Lewis. To be honest, seeing the movie doesn't make me want to read the book, but it does have me anxiously awaiting the next installment.

The movie was visually and narratively arresting, with landscapes that were beyond amazing and a well-written and -executed storyline. The actors' perfomances ranged from the competent (e.g., the three oldest children and the bit players) to the noteworthy (e.g., Georgie Henley who channeled E.T.'s Drew Barrymore as the youngest sister, Lucy) to the outstanding (e.g., Tilda Swinton who channeled Beelzebub as the dredlocked White Witch).

There were plenty of wink wink moments for Christians and Bible knowers, and other more subtle elements that may require a more keen perception and leap of interpretation. Taken at face value, however, the lore remains credible and concrete.

Long story short: SEE IT!

3 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, December 09, 2005, Blogger rod said...

I shall - right away.

 
At 4:58 AM, December 10, 2005, Blogger Rene' said...

I have a question about your profile picture actually...Does this bust have special meaning to you or did you just appreciate the photograph of it? Just curious.

 
At 1:13 AM, December 13, 2005, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

Rene',
In the immortal words of Reverend Lovejoy of The Simpson's, "The short answer is yes with an 's'. The long answer is no with a 'but'."

When I started the blog I didn't know where it was going, so I opted against using a photo. I wanted a statue, preferably of someone that bore some kind of resemblance to me. That bust was as close as I could come. After a while it grew on me as more than a placeholder. It reminds me of my childhood and kind of represents the quintessential, black childhood of the seventies. Not that the two are one in the same...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home