Saturday, January 07, 2006

...the need for speed. (Part Two)

Because I know we speak a different language on the subject, I often feel like I have to explain the concept of need to God. Then I have to explain what I need, why I need it, when I need it, and occasionally how it will benefit him, the Kingdom, and mankind.

Although I know his definition of need is better (i.e., right, true, just, perfect and holy), it's hard to let go of mine, especially when I feel like we have different perspectives. To me it seems that God's perspective of need is like his perspective of time. How can my perspective on time be the same a someone who is eternal, who exists outside of time, who was around before time existed and will be around after it disappears?

So along with need I usually provide an in-depth explanation of time with my petitions. For example when I say "now," I don't mean "in this generation," or "before the Rapture," or "for a time such as this." Soon is another tricky term. "I need a bus or a train soon." "My rent is due soon." "Jesus is coming soon." These are three very different soons. Jesus is coming eventually, my rent is due at the first of the month.

I guess in the end, adjusting to and trusting God's perspective of need and time is not a matter of faith, it's a matter of fact. God has provided me more than enough hard evidence that his concepts of need and time work out better than mine. I just have to collect and examine the facts, and make my decisions based on them. I'm sure I'll get to that point...soon.

2 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, January 08, 2006, Blogger rod said...

when you get to that point, could you send me back the directions? As SOON as you get there?

 
At 11:22 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

If I ever make it, I'll have to draw a map, so that I can get back in a month or so when I've forgotten how I got there. I'll be sure to mail you a copy of the map.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home