Monday, April 17, 2006

Prayer Dare: Day #1

My Easter Resolution is to begin a let's say 40-day prayer fast. During this period I will journal a prayer everyday. The 40-day part is kind of arbitrary, and technically, it's less of a fast than a dare. The actual goal is to begin journaling consistently. However, as a creature of habit, I know that if I can do something for 40 days continuing will be no sweat.

It stands to reason that the intended outcomes of prayers, like those of experiments, should be SMART. That is, Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Tangible. Well, maybe not attainable and realistic. After all, if it's attainable and realistic, what do I need God for? I can do the attainable and realistic. Or perhaps, I should keep the principles but expand their definitions to account for God's limitless ability to attain the unattainable and to "push out the corners" of reality. Of course, the entire debate is merely academic, as my first request will break the rules.

My Day #1 petition is to be a better man. For several reasons, this is a good time in my life to be at my very best. So, that is what I pray:
  • to be wiser and more intentional;
  • to choose and measure my words and actions more carefully;
  • to use my gifts and talents whenever possible and appropriate;
  • to hesitate less and reduce the number of sins of omission that I commit;
  • to process and express my emotions in a healthier and more timely fashion; and,
  • to be more honest with others (and myself) about where they stand in my life.

This is a relatively nebulous goal, but what the hay. What's a little nebulosity between friends?

Amen.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home