Monday, March 27, 2006

Beeeee.....Goooooood.

This week’s song comes to you from the genius of Alanis Morissette. It’s called “That I Would Be Good.” This song has always meant a lot to me, at first, because I wanted to believe it. Now that I’m actually starting to believe it, it means even more. It’s very affirming to the lessons that God is really driving home in my relationships these days. He’s subtly and not so subtly reminding me that my value to him, and in general, isn’t out in the ether somewhere. It’s not something I have to find, or uncover, or earn, or maintain. It’s not dependent on what I do, what I say, or who I’m with. I am his child, his wonderfully and fearfully made creation, and no one can take me from his hand (John 10:28). Anyway, here’s the song:

That I would be good even if I did nothing
That I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
That I would be good if I got and stayed sick
That I would be good even if I gained ten pounds

That I would be fine even if I went bankrupt
That I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
That I would be great if I was no longer king
That I would be grand if I was not all knowing

That I would be loved even when I numb myself
That I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
That I would be loved even when I was fuming
That I would be good even if I was clingy

That I would be good even if I lost sanity
That I would be good whether with or without you


Ironically enough, each of these things were insecurities of mine, things that I thought couldn't I do and still "be good." And over the past few years, God is slowly going down the list, and putting me in situations where I have to face each one and see that I am still good and loved and great and grand. It's been a real...experience.

2 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, March 29, 2006, Blogger Brad Irons said...

Ok. I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. You have varied tastes in all kinds of stuff. I don't know what it's like up north, but here in the south it's uncommon to see a black man quoting Alanis, Oswarld Chambers and Garth Brooks (even if the song was originally done by CeCe). Hope that didn't offend you. I think it's a good thing.

Anyway, keep up the introspection!

 
At 7:29 PM, March 29, 2006, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

Hey Brad, that's definitely a compliment, and as far as I know not very common. I'm kind of a rebel that way.

I've been extremely blessed to be exposed to all kinds of people, music, books, and opinons. And I just kind of absorbed what I think was the best of it all into the amalgam that is me. I'm kind of a cannibal that way.

Thanks for reading,
Dennis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home