Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Prayer Dare: Day #17

Hear my cry, O Lord, attend unto my prayer. From the ends of the earth will I cry unto thee. When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I, that is higher than I.
For thou has been a shelter for me and a strong tower from all mine enemies. When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I, that is higher than I.

Lord, I'm praying as a pre-emptive strike against the flood waters of fatigue and insecurity (okay, that song just came out). Insecurity is just part of the song, but the fatigue part fits. I know that over the next week and a half I'll be facing tough deadlines and a laundry list of tasks, followed by intense and emotionally challenging training. But, I also know you. And as the song says, sometimes you calm the storm and sometimes you calm your child. I don't care who you calm, just please calm somebody. I'm good right now, but I want to stay this way.

Don't let me procrastinate. Your joy is my strength, so I don't need the pressure of the deadline and the adrenaline rush of the stress to fuel my progress. I can choose a different way and here and now, I do. Granted, I've already waited quite a while, but it's not too late to change and make a different decision. So, I do. I change. Tomorrow is going to be another productive day. I'm going to arrive on time. I'm going to draw up my task list and schedule. I'm going to finish my report and well. I'm going to prepare for the staff meeting. I'm going to leave on time, having completed a productive day. I'm going to be a good steward over the gift that you've given me in this job and I'm going to stop taking it for granted, because I know what I went through to get it. I know the hoops that you created and then jumped through, just to prove to me that you could do whatever you wanted to. Let me never, drunk on the wine of milk and honey, forget the wilderness. Here I raise my Ebenezer.

Thank you, Jesus,
Amen.

3 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Brad Irons said...

Praying with you, Dennis.

By the way, Day #16 was an awesome post too. Can I repost it on my blog (with appropriate credit being given of course)?

Blessings!
Brad Irons

 
At 2:40 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

Sure. Enjoy,

Dennis

 
At 4:38 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Lisa said...

This one struck a chord. I find my job ridiculously boring and yet it was a God given opportunity and I feel everyday that tomorrow will be different.

I've been looking for a new job, but have this strange sensation that God won't open up those doors, until I am faithful and execute this one with excellence...which I am far from doing.

I am grateful for his grace recognizing that it allows me to try again tomorrow and that human grace does not always afford me that luxury.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home